Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Question 4

agr's question: "What do I think about atheists?"

My answer was the same as I think about Christians or Muslims or Jews or an Indian auto driver.

Please Note: Indian auto driver is a fictitious position and is not meant to refer to any Indian auto driver in particular, living or dead.

We are all people on a journey searching for meaning and purpose and to be loved and to love. I encounter all sorts of people in my life, some I like and others that I don't, some that care for me and others that seem to ignore me.

My faith journey is one of seeking to follow Jesus so those I love I need to love better, those I don't like I need to discover how Jesus would have loved them and then attempt to move in that direction. So for me the question of an atheist or a Muslim or a Jew or an Indian auto driver (see note above re Indian auto driver) is irrelevant. The real question is about people who are on a journey and how I, on my journey can also become part of theirs.

Just as there are some people who call themselves Muslims or Jews and commit terrible deeds that I would not want to associate with there are also some people who call themselves Christians who commit acts that I would not like to identify with either.

(Please insert your own Indian auto driver story here)

The label is not really that important and in my life I have found it more of a hinderance. Lets get to know people then see what God would have us do through the relationship that develops.

I crave for people to forgive me when I do the wrong thing so what right do I have to withhold my forgiveness from anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment