Sunday, July 19, 2009

Question 1

This question comes from my many comments about Indian time and how things here happen 'when they do'.

agr's question: "Why is it so important for you to be on time and for things to start on time?"

Good first question agr. Can I pass and wait for question 2?

It is well documented that I like to be on time, actually I like to be early. IW can recount many stories about my efforts to get the family to things on time. Even when our three girls were very little we still managed to get to events prior to the starting time.

There were exceptions of course, caused by things out of our control and also when there were unexpected emergencies to assist with.

The main point of my response to agr was that, for me, being on time was a sign of respect for the person hosting the event. If they say they want to start at 7:30 pm then why should I turn up when I like. If I am delayed I would offer my apologies.

I must admit that, 'when things happen in India', is still a mystery to me. I am not frustrated anymore and just go with the flow. The 'It is cultural' answer has for me as many holes as a well used Indian mosquito net. One of the puzzling things at CSI Jessie Moses School is that school starts at 8:25 am and out of the 2000+ students there are less than ten on average who are late. They have obviously learnt through experience that school starts on time and that they should be there before that time. When lunch is over they return promptly to their classes.

Alongside respect is the thought that if the event is something that is important to me I don't want to be late and risk missing something.

No comments:

Post a Comment