Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Time

If I had to make a statement about my relationship with time I would probably say that I am a slave to it. I guess this has a lot to do with my personality. I don’t like surprises or to be surprised so I always try to be on time (or a bit early).

The purpose of this is that generally others aren’t, so as they arrive I can meet people one by one rather than having to enter a meeting or room full of people.

I believe this is one way that Lynn and I complement each other. She can meet the crowd and enjoy it and I can then be introduced by her to others one by one.

I knew India was going to be a problem for me time-wise because I had been warned by my daughter who spent three months here a few years ago, plus doing our cross-cultural training, that generally the Indian sense of time does not correspond with anything I knew or liked.

This timing difference has been evident since our arrival. We get advised we will get picked up at a certain time but then it happens anytime. We have had occasions where it has been early (I was ready) and late (I was ready and frustrated).

I was told at 3:00 pm one day that the electrician would be here at 4:00 pm to fix a switch. Nothing much can go wrong here – only one hour. I took for me, a courageous decision not to hang around, when at 4:10 pm he had not arrived.

At 5:00 pm the next day the groundsman found me in the Hostel and informed me that the electrician was here. I chatted with him as we walked back to let the electrician in. He did not apologise for the lateness of 25 hours and I did not bother to ask.

The problem was fixed and everyone seemed happy. I wasn’t happy but I was decidedly less frustrated than I thought I would be.

We talked to a travel agent on Saturday about some options to see other parts of India during the May School holidays. No problem, he would get back to us shortly. He took my phone number and said he would call. Dropped in to his agency on Monday and he was not there and no-one had any details. We will visit again today (Tuesday) to see if he has done anything yet.

One of the challenges for me is to still try and be efficient in things I do (i.e. do not waste time) while allowing the world around me to function in its own understanding of time.

I have read a lot since arriving, probably more than in the last few years of my life (I am not an avid reader!!), so one of the gifts I have received here is that space and time to explore other things. Even though there is newness and challenge around me that is strange, I feel far more comfortable than at home.

Despite that vagueness of time here Church and school always start exactly on time.

PS

Is this the gift that Indian time is giving me? The knowledge and space to choose what I want rather than accept the impositions forced on me by the society that I come from.

2 comments:

  1. Exactly what I found - India gives the gift of time. You just have to be structured enough to have something to do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting how others attitude to time can pressure you or release you. I now work for someone who insists on finishing work when we close the doors on time at end of trade. It's the most pressure free and yet the most efficient business I've worked in.

    ReplyDelete