Saturday, February 28, 2009

Singapore – Chennai

I have been waiting for this point in time for a long time. To actually arrive in Chennai. I had been trying to prepare myself by thinking and imagining the differences, the smells, the tastes, the language, the behaviour.

Lynn and I have travelled a fair bit since our first overseas trip in 2000 – we were seasoned travellers able to negotiate our way through all sorts of places but nothing had prepared me for the Lounge at Gate 43 at Changi Airport. About 200 people sitting waiting and among them only 2 non-Indians.

I have thought about minorities before and felt I had been in a minority in lots of situations but this was different. It was chaos as we sat in the glass case of gate 43 much like a fish bowl with thousands of people wandering by outside on their way to their own adventure or returning from it. The fish bowl was about 30 metres by 15 metres and it was loud with everyone thinking they had to share their conversation with the person at the far end of the bowl. Those who were sitting alone were not left out as they quickly grabbed their mobile phones and shouted at them. I was tempted to get mine out and shout but Lynn restrained me.

I sat and smiled at Lynn as I heard the jumble of noise invading my life. All I could do was what I always have done and looked for the funny side of things. There was no order as I knew it and yet there was.

All people in rows 24 to 28 please board now. Nearly everyone except us (row 13) stood and moved towards the gate. I got mad – didn’t they hear the announcement? But all was OK. The hostess just shouted louder than all the others “ONLY ROWS 24 TO 28!!!!!” There was a noticeable grumble but they stopped in their tracks. I got angry again. Why didn’t they move aside? They just stopped where they were and forced all the row 24 to 28 people to push through them.

All people in rows 19 to 24 please board now. Everyone except us (row 13) pushed towards the gate. I got mad – didn’t they hear the announcement? Once again there was the shout from the hostess and once again they stopped in their tracks.

We eventually got on, and inside the plane it was chaos. People moving forward and back down the aisles making it impossible for anyone to achieve anything. I am a relaxed person but I would like a bit of order. I felt like mutating into a hostess and shouting “EVERYONE SIT DOWN!!!!” but I restrain myself. I find a place for our hand luggage and sit while around me the chaos/new order continues.

As the plane pushes back there are at least twenty people still wandering back and forwards talking to others. There are still about fifteen pieces of hand luggage left in the aisle because people cannot find a place to put them in the overhead lockers. I do a quick check, can I see any cameras? Am I a participant in an Indian reality TV show? No sign of cameras, no sign of stress on anyone else’s face so I sit back and relax in the new order of life.

A meal was served (vegetarian or non-vegetarian) - NON-VEGETARIAN please. I did not fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian! Is this the next thing in my life to dissolve? The curry was hot but after the yoghurt was quite pleasant. There were three pieces of sliced fruit, pawpaw, and two I have never seen before. I politely asked the guy next to me what they were but he just shrugged and said he had never seen them either. Was this a good sign? I ate one, took a bite of another and put it down. Decided I did not need to try everything new at once!!?

We landed with several people wandering up and down the aisle as soon as the plane hit the tarmac - didn’t seem to make any difference that the stewards were shouting for them to sit down. No one seemed to be too upset at this so neither was I.

You will be all pleased to know that we have now had 2 flights and our luggage arrived safely to both destinations (although it took a long time in Chennai). We met Cornelius (our in-country supervisor), Paul (an Aussie but not a gnu) and Robert Moses our driver who were standing among hundreds of Indians, waving a welcome sign. We were given the traditional Indian welcome – flowers for Lynn and a garland for me.

The story of getting out of the car park is a story in itself as is the trip to the guest house.

Stay tuned!

4 comments:

  1. Reminds me so much of my own experience. I got excited reading it all. Did you have to push in to get served at Chennai customs? And was there a neon sign on the side of the airport?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Changi airport brings back memories of our trip to China in 1988 - so much noise and disorder. we cracked 1 day when a local bus pulled up and 200 people pushed (a gross understatement) to get on before anyone could get off. We were both yelling and pulling people aside to allow a woman who must have been at least 90 to get off safely. No-one was at all phased by our actions. So different to our Aust culture. We believe we saw the real China - an amazing experience as yours will be although at times surely frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to hear you made it to Chennai relatively usncathed. For what it's worth, my carnivorous background (granddaughter of a butcher, no less) went out the window after the first bout of "Delhi belly" and I became a firm vegetarian from then on! I hoe that youa re finding your feet a little. Don't try to look for order - there is none - well, to the Western eye at first it seems like this. The order is just different to ours. Give my love to Paul and Cronelius.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You poor darlings - what an experience. I am sure that it is the beginning of many them same I fear......Know the both of you, I am sure you will take it all in your stride. We are thinking of you both. Love The Bear.

    ReplyDelete