Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Slow News Week

It has been a slow restful week prior to the girls returning tomorrow but just to keep your interest we are publishing the rare photos of THE FIRST INDIAN HAIRCUT.

It is also my first visit to a Beauty Parlour (hereafter known as 'BP').  Down the road from the school is Groomz Men Gents 'BP'.  The hair was getting a bit unkempt and we had seen hairdressers in our travels but it was one of those moments where the shop was there and I was there so IW and I burst through the door to see what was offered in the men's beauty stakes.

The store was in semi-darkness as is the custom here when there are no customers inside.  Soon after entering a couple of men appeared and the lights and a/c were switched on.  Strangely enough they did not ask me what beauty treatment I had come for instead I got the "Do you want a haircut?" to which I replied in the affirmative and asked what it would cost.

The reply shocked me a bit.   It would cost 90 rupees (not quite $3).  I was expecting more being in a 'BP', so gratefully accepted and climbed into the chair.  I received my haircut, which I was quite pleased with, then got the added bonus that goes with the haircut in a 'BP'.

Included in the princely sum of 90 rupees is not only a haircut but a five minute scalp massage.

It took them a while to wake me at the completion of the massage and I groggily got out of the chair, handed over a 100 rupee note, took IW's hand and left the shop.


Haircut after long sweaty walk
(outside our front door)

PS:  IW is in desperate need of a haircut as well but as she has promised the girls that she won't have her hair cut before she leaves India, she is resisting the temptation to enter the Ladies 'BP'.


1 comment:

  1. Positively well groomed and ready for anything!!
    Wow. We were worried the blog had stopped - but are sooooo glad you are continuing. Hope the shifting in of the girls goes well and you get a good night's sleep
    H. & K.

    ReplyDelete