Friday, April 10, 2009

Hit by a Dead Rat

In the very early days of computing I was the proud owner of a Commodore 64 complete with cassette tape backup. One of the first games I encountered was ‘Frogger

It was a simple game where you had to get your frog to hop across a five lane highway of fast moving cars, buses and trucks then a crocodile infested river to reach its home. It you were good you made it, but one simple error of judgment and you were roadkill . Dead and flat. The graphics were poor and the sound was over the top but I grew to like the game.

It taught me a lot that I did not realize I would need later in life. You see, in India, every day is Frogger day and those skills acquired while others said I was wasting my time are now central to my physical survival in road crossings.

NOTE TO PARENTS: Be careful criticizing your children about wasting time on computer games. The skills they are obtaining could be life saving later in life.

In Australia you see a fair bit of roadkill on country roads but in the city it is minimal. In India, Chennai in particular, roadkill is prevalent. The main source for roadkill appears to be rats and the main beneficiary is the crow. Not a day goes by when you do not witness the crow feeding on the carcass of a dead rat while avoiding the traffic. What a skill that bird possesses. I have not witnessed any crow roadkill since I have been here.

They rip and pluck and strip the dead body bare leaving a mix of bones and fur to slowly disintegrate in the weather.

Wow – that was a long introduction to an incident that I witnessed this week.

While minding our own business on our daily walk for coffee we were standing at the edge of the road eagerly working in tandem to get across safely. While waiting we witnessed a crow at work. Then a special moment occurred. Just as the gap in traffic appeared for us to advance one lane further, a motor bike sped up in the lane where the crow and the rat were getting acquainted.

The result of this was the crow having to make a hasty departure, but unfortunately its claw was still hooked in the rat. As it soared towards us in its escape, and we advanced one square in the road crossing game, the crow lost its grip.

I did not think Lynn’s new fur brooch looked that bad but it only resided on her salwar for the briefest moment before the now patented rat-removing scream/jump/spin, dislodged it.

We did enjoy the safety of our Coffee Shop that day as we recalled the exciting events of the walk.

PS Even when with a trusted friend, disasters can still occur.

6 comments:

  1. Hi, Am glad both of you are not dead rats! We are pleased to read each day your blog. Thank you so much for educating and teaching us of life in Chennai. Today I learned something also - I dutifully post a comment after each read and blow me down! One needs a google whatever password. That is OK, but when you are old - try to remember what the last one is/was and I croak! This time I have written it down and by golly it had better stay. We love you and look forward to the next chapter. Heather and Ken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to see that patented move Lynn next time we see each other... or perhaps you could post a YouTube for us all to see ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS... that is not an actual picture of the rat is it... that's a whopper!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fred & I watched a "Rat Show" last night...kinda like a Dog Show but for rats. The rat that won "best in show" was a purebred. How can rats be purebred?

    ReplyDelete
  5. EDITOR'S NOTE: Rat picture for illustration purposes only.
    EDITOR'S WIFE'S NOTE: Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story!
    EDITOR'S SUB-NOTE: Facts - Commodore 64, Roadkill, Rat, Crow, Startled Wife. Perhaps it didn't actually land on her. But what sort of a story would that have been? NEARLY HIT by a DEAD RAT!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for that story....don't think I will eat lunch today now!!! Love The Bear.

    ReplyDelete